학부행사

서아시아전공 초청강연 12.4(수) 17:00-18:00

페이지 정보

작성자 관리자   |   작성일13-11-08 21:47   |   조회2,452회

본문

일시: 2013. 12. 4 수 17:00-18:00

장소: 신양인문관(4동) 세미나4실 301호

Sinyang Building no.4 Room 301

강연자: F. Betul Yavuz (서울대 인문학 연구원, Institute of Humanities, SNU)

강연제목:  On the Fringes of Sufism: Imagining Human Being as Divine

Lecture in English, Korean translation provided (영어강의, 한국어 통역제공) 

안녕하세요? 서아시아의 역사를 공부하는 이은정 교수입니다.
이번 강연에서는 특히 한국 학생들에게 전달이 잘 되게 하기 위해서 베튈 자브다르 야부즈 선생님의 말씀을 제가 통역하기로 했습니다. 그러니 아무쪼록 이슬람, 수피즘 혹은 신비주의 전반에 걸친 관심을 가진 분들이 많이 참여하시기 바랍니다. 다음은 강연자의 강연 내용 소개입니다.

On the Fringes of Sufism: Imagining Human Being as Divine
수피즘의 주변에서: 인간 존재를 신성한 것으로 상상하다

How human being is conceived is usually an index to how the world is understood. Animism, pantheism, polytheism, monotheism, atheism all produce different concepts of human being as part of different accounts of reality. 
    인간 존재가 어떤 식으로 개념화되었는지는 보통 세계가 어떻게 이해되었는지에 대한 인덱스가 된다. 애니미즘, 범신론, 다신교, 유일신교, 무신론 등은 모두 실재에 대한 다양한 설명의 한 부분으로써 인간 존재를 다르개 개념화한다.

As in the case of Judaism and Christianity, Islam puts forth the idea that the world is God’s creation. It is the work of his will; it has a beginning and an end in God. Human being, on the other hand, is made through God’s breathing of the spirit in the human body. He put the human being in the world and continues to be deeply concerned with his doings. God is beyond human reach and He alone can overcome the gulf between Him and He does so by his revelation. 
    유대교와 기독교의 경우처럼 이슬람은 세계가 신의 창조에 의한 것이라고 본다. 세계는 그의 의지가 만든 것이다. 세계는 신 안에서 시작과 끝이 있다. 한편, 인간 존재는 신이 인간의 몸에 영혼을 불어넣음으로써 만들어진다. 그는 인간을 세상 안에 위치시켰고 인간의 행위에 깊은 관심을 계속 가지고 있다. 신은 인간의 한계 너머에 있고 신만이 그와 그의 피조물 사이에 있는 거대한 심연을 극복할 수 있으니 그는 계시를 통해서 그렇게 하는 것이다.

In the Sufi tradition, on the other hand, we find the understanding that humans are granted a special position within the other beings of the earth. They can overcome the gulf between God and creation through the ascent of the soul, through contemplation and spiritual discipline. Therefore in Sufi understanding, we find that the focus is rather on the human soul, the divine part that makes the human being superior to the rest of the world. The body is looked upon as the kernel of this soul, the part that hides and hinders the true reality of the human being.
    그런데 수피 전통에서는 인간들이 지상의 다른 피조물들 가운데서 특별한 위치를 차지한다는 생각을 볼 수 있다. 인간은 신과 피조물 사이의 심연을 영혼의 상승을 통해, 명상과 영적 훈련을 통해 극복할 수 있다. 그러므로 수피의 사상에서는 세상의 다른 것들보다 인간을 우월하게 만드는 신성한 부분인 인간의 영혼에 초점이 있음을 볼 수 있다. 몸은 이 영혼의 껍질, 즉 인간 존재의 진성한 실재를 감추고 방해하는 부분으로 생각되었다.

Thus it was rather surprising to me when I came across writings of a Sufi order, known as Bayrami-Malamis, which flourished in the sixteenth century in the Ottoman Empire. In their writings we find that the emphasis is on the superiority of the human body, which they underline as the most beautiful form within the universe. The superiority of the human being is due to this form and one learns about the reality of this secret teaching (gnosis) after becoming a disciple to the rightful master of the time. In my presentation, I will explain within what kind of worldview this view was substantiated. I will trace some of the earlier writings that underlined the human body as the dwelling place of the divine. I will also look into how those who believed in this secret teaching tried to exist in a society that found this teaching extremely disturbing and heretical.
    그런 맥락에서 나는 16세기 오스만제국에서 번성하였던 바이라미-멜라미라는 수피 교단을 발견했을 때 그것이 큰 놀라움으로 다가왔다. 그들의 저작에서 강조점은 인간의 몸의 우월성에 있고, 그들은 인간의 몸이 우주에서 가장 아름다운 형태라고 하였다. 인간 존재의 우월성은 이 형태에서 기인하는 것이며 이러한 비밀한 가르침(그노시스)의 진실에 대해 아는 것은 당시의 올바른 스승의 제자가 되고 나서일 뿐이다.  강연에서 이러한 관점이 어떠한 세계관 안에서 만들어진 것인지 설명할 것이며, 신성의 거처로서의 인간의 몸을 강조한 보다 이른 시기의 저작들을 추적할 것이다. 또한 그러한 가르침을 극히 역겹고 이단적인 것으로 간주했던 사회 안에서 이러한 비밀스런 가르침을 믿던 사람들이 어떻게 살아가려고 했는지도 살펴볼 것이다.

여러분의 많은 관심과 성원 부탁드립니다. 관심있으신 분은 누구나 참석 가능합니다.

감사합니다.

문의: 아시아언어문명학부 이경원 조교 (6009) alc@snu.ac.kr